Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Session Eight 6-23-09






















Session 8 of HBOT with Sevyn
(diagnosis autism age 3)
6-23-09

Last night Sevyn slept for four hours, woke crying for a drink, then slept for another three! He only woke up once! YAY! We had another afternoon session today at 2 and Sevyn was very excited. He wanted to watch cartoons right away, so I tried to put in a different DVD, but he insisted on Sponge Bob. I also wanted him to where the oxygen mask, so I tried the “first and then” method and put the bask around his neck, then when he tried to take it off I quickly offered the DVD player saying “first mask, then Sponge bob.” He had a meltdown over the mask being on his face, but I settled for it being around his neck and knowing the oxygen was blowing into his face. I put my mask on like that too and told him it was a necklace. He wore his “necklace” for about 10 minutes then pulled it off. I turned off the DVD player, he screamed, I said first and then, and he let me put it back on him! He wore it for another 15 minutes or so. I guess Sponge Bob is our reinforcer after all! I turned off the DVD at the end of the session when we decompressed and after he got over the DVD player being gone he was much more focused and did the toning and ear popping techniques with me. We’re figuring this out! Sevyn counted to ten when the zippers opened and said “we did it!” again today! After the HBOT Dr. Matt and were talking in his office and Sevyn jumped up onto his massage table and laid down. He seemed like he wanted to be adjusted so Dr. Matt adjusted him! Sevyn asked for “more” and “again”, he also smiled gratefully at me the whole time he was being worked on! It was so cool to see him asking for help! The adjustments looked like they felt great and Dr. Matt was very gentle with Sevyn. I hope we see more of this! On the ride home he seemed to be telling his dad about the rocket. We heard words like, “rocket, stars, earth, bob-bob, squid ward, and mom! several times. I was a little teary hearing him tell a story with me in it. We still only understand a few words, but he’s talking and it’s getting clearer every time we hear it! His diaper’s (there were two poopies) looked improved but not fully formed today. We’re giving him probiotics and acidophilus. He ate really well today and seems to be taking to foods he absolutely refused before like Quinoa and beans. I am so proud of my little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment